Thursday, March 08, 2007

And then there were three . . .

So, the news gets sadder. Susie, Holly, and Sarah have decided to leave the boat. The reasons are a little different for each of them, I think, but the difficulties we've had with the boat are certainly a big part of it. I think those challenges sort of set the stage for some personality conflicts to come out that might not have otherwise. None of us have been at our best for a while now, due to to frustration and fatigue. Poor communication hasn't helped. It's like living in a very small house with six people: it wouldn't be easy on land. And being at sea just makes it a bit more difficult. It found our faults and split us at them. It has been, for the most part, adult. So I think everyone parts as friends. Maybe it's for the best.

I'm sad about it. There wasn't one of them that I didn't enjoy spending time with. And though I look forward to going north to India with Diny and Max, it just won't be the same. But I think we can shake it off and move on. We still plan to make stops at these beautiful atolls on the way up, which should do wonders for our mood. The old diesel tank is out. Good riddance, but we're having a tough time getting the new one in (custom built at a metal shop here in Male) . Imagine trying to get a new, 150lb couch out of your car (which never stops moving), onto your porch (which is also moving), into a very small house, and stored in a closet whose door the couch is too big to go through, so you have to start pulling out the walls (complete with plumbing and electrical wiring). That's what we're up against. But we're getting there.

I think I need a vacation from my vacation.

Oh, and Susie gave me a bad haircut for my birthday, so I had to shave my head. I'll post a pic sometime after I get it properly tanned. So far, the best think about it is how the wind feels on it and how the locals gasp when I take my hat off.

Hope you are well wherever you are and that your couches all fit.